By: Jadrianna Sobczak, Health Care & Science Career Community Advisor
Whether you’ve never had a LinkedIn account, are active on the platform, or have a profile but don’t really use it (something I hear from students a lot), it’s important to recognize what an important role it can play in your career story. While many think of LinkedIn as just another social media platform, it is so much more than that. In fact, I’d go as far as saying it’s your secret weapon as you build your personal brand. If that sounds crazy to you, keep reading…
Why Join LinkedIn?
LinkedIn’s mission is to connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful. So, by connecting with people who share your passion and who may be able to lend you knowledge and share their experiences, you might just connect to a professional or idea that transforms not just your career, but your life. But first, you need to get a profile.
Philosophies to Live By When Posting
You’ve likely heard the saying: it’s all about who you know. Well, now the saying goes: it’s not about who you know, it’s about who knows about YOU. This rings especially true in today’s job market.
- Tag relevant people whenever you have the opportunity. This not only increases the visibility of your post, but it welcomes engagement.
- Don’t just hit “like,” leave a thoughtful comment or share the post along with what you loved about it. This might drive people outside of your current professional circle to your profile, gaining you more connections, as well as an organic following. Remember, relationships matter.
- Build traction and credibility with people in your field by staying informed and having meaningful conversations. If you’re seeking responses to the content you’re posting, consider adding a CTA (Call to Action) or asking a question at the end of your post to encourage others to join in.
- Start a conversation yourself by being the first to comment and tagging someone who might like to weigh in. There is absolutely no shame in this. Own your content and make it work for you!
- Always be authentic and have the courage to take intelligent risks. Allow yourself to be vulnerable and to share something that’s close to your heart and aligned with your passions. You never know who it might also connect with.
Not Sure Where to Start?
Start small by sharing a #TuesdayTip or a piece of #WednesdayWisdom. What was something interesting you learned this week that will help you in your future career? Did you read an article that could spark a conversation? Share it with your network!
If sharing content doesn’t necessarily interest you, start by following hashtags that are related to your field. This is an easy way to not only engage with like-minded people, but it will help to personalize your feed and expose you to content you may not otherwise have seen.
For some of you, next steps might look like filling out your profile for the first time. For others, this might mean dusting off that profile of yours, making some updates, following a few hashtags, or sharing content.
No matter where your LinkedIn profile stands, take the leap! Do yourself a favor and go make connections today that will have a profound impact on your career journey for years to come.