By: Alejandra Ruiz, DePaul University honors marketing major ‘16
When searching for a job or internship on Handshake, it is important to have a complete profile. Why go through all that trouble, you ask? Handshake will use the information you plug into your profile to pull relevant jobs and internships, to which you are qualified for, as well as recommend events.
If that’s not enough to sway you to create a complete and striking profile, know this: Employers are searching for their perfect candidate on Handshake, and if your profile is on point and provides all the details necessary, they’ll reach out to you.
Follow these simple steps to create a profile that will show of your abilities and attract employers:
- Log in to joinhandshake.com using your Campus Connect login information. If you have questions or are having issues logging in, you can find help here.
- Then, click on the arrow by your name in the upper right hand corner, and click, Your Profile.
- Once there, in the upper right hand corner, you will see a few tabs. Click on the Documents tab. Then, click on the New Document tab to upload your awesome resume (which of course was already reviewed by a peer advisor or career advisor).
- Now it’s time to fill in the below form. Make sure to enter the Name of the document, and choose the document type [Resume]. If you want your full resume to be public to employers, click Public. If you don’t want employers to be able to download your resume directly from your profile, or if you plan to create custom resumes for jobs or internships you apply for, leave the box blank. Finally, upload a pdf version of your resume, and hit, Create Document.
- You will now be directed to the Review and Add Resume Data section where you will be able to review the content within your resume and decide what information should be pulled for your profile. Once you tweak the content you’d like to be visible on your profile, click, Add to Profile.
- Finally, click on View my Profile, and you’ll be able to see what employers will see when they click on your profile.
Now that you have followed these steps to create a killer Handshake profile, start searching for jobs, internships and events that fit your qualifications and needs. And, don’t forget to always keep your profile up-to-date!
If you have any questions, or would like to get your resume reviewed before uploading it to your Handshake account, visit the Career Center and chat with your advisor or a PCAP.