By: Sara Frankiewicz, Student Communications Assistant, Office of Student Employment
There are a variety of different on-campus jobs DePaul has to offer that goes beyond a typical workday. Working on-campus gives students the opportunity to develop a diverse set of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Whether you’re just starting out or trying to build your existing resume, the perfect job for you might be waiting on the Campus Job Board. Here are some unique jobs that may not come to mind when about when thinking about student employment.
1. Bus Runner / Theater School
- The Bus Runner is a member of The Theatre School and the Reskin Theatre student services staff and will work with the Group Sales Representative, Group Sales Assistants, Manager of Audience Services, and other front-of-house staff providing support services relating to the development of The Theatre School audiences.
2. Athletics Academic Assistant / Athletics Academic Advising
- The Athletics Academic Advising office at DePaul University is looking for two to three graduate students to serve as academic assistants and tutors for DePaul University student-athletes. These two positions will work primarily with Men’s Basketball and Women’s Basketball student-athletes, but may also assist with other students and responsibilities like front desk coverage as needed.
3. Student Project Leader: Explore Your Purpose / Division of Mission and Ministry
- The Student Project Leader for Explore Your Purpose (EYP) at DePaul will work directly with the staff project leader as well as with the EYP Core Team to assist with the coordination and oversight of logistics for all EYP initiatives. They will also serve as the project leader for any student engagement programs that are part of the EYP project. This position will help the student develop a strong sense of leadership, interpersonal skills, and encourages creativity and innovation.
4. Storytelling Assistant / Career Center
- The Career Center is seeking a dynamic student to help collect and share the diverse stories of DePaul students and alumni. As part of the Communications Team, the storytelling assistant works closely with the director and digital media manager to write, create and curate student and alumni success stories for print and digital distribution. This position will assist with the creation of a storytelling library and digital landing page to collect and host the profiles
5. CONNECT Logistics Chair / Student Involvement
- The Council on New and Existing Campus Traditions (CONNECT) Chair’s primary responsibilities include various signature programming efforts, including Welcome Experience Programming, Ugly Sweater Party, the Gnome Hunt, and more. The Chair will also be an active member of the CONNECT Committee, attending weekly/biweekly meetings, assist with planning and implementation, and other projects as assigned.
6. Student Mascot Performer / Athletic Department
- The student in this role serves as one of the most visible icons of the University. They perform as and develop the character of ‘DIBS’ the mascot for DePaul Athletics. Student performers are required to represent the University with the highest integrity and professionalism. DIBS, the Blue Demon mascot, performs at over 100 events per year and is a highly visible and living version of the DePaul brand. This position requires the student to be comfortable wearing a snug-fitting costume head with limited vision. Preference for students with a height between 5’5″ and 6″ for optimum costume fit!
7. Egan Tutor / Steans Center for Community-Based Service Learning
- The Egan tutor-mentor will work with students in Catholic and public schools to help students meet their academic goals. Egan tutor-mentors are placed in schools in under-resourced Chicago communities. Depending on the needs of the school, responsibilities may also include assisting a teacher(s) in an assigned classroom(s). Tutor-mentors may also be assigned individual students or a small group of students to provide more individualized tutoring and/or assistance with classroom assignments.
8. Student Success Coach / New Student and Family Engagement
- The Office of New Student and Family Engagement selects approximately 25 highly driven and caring upper-class undergraduate or graduate students to serve as Student Success Coaches. Student Success Coaches will report to the Coordinator of Retention and Student Success Initiatives. Success Coaches play an integral role in supporting the transition and success of first-year students. They will facilitate structured one on one meetings to guide first-year students through thought provoking conversations. Through these meetings, goals and strategies will be established in order to maximize student’s personal and professional potential.
9. Freelance Videographer / Career Center
- The video content creator will work with the Career Center communications team to shoot and edit videos covering a variety of subjects. These videos are used to tell career success stories and educate students about services and
10. Student Photographer / CDM
- The College of Computing and Digital Media is searching for student photographers to document CDM events and student life. The photographer(s) will be responsible for taking photos of CDM curricular and co-curricular events and capturing stills to be used in promotional materials, including on the CDM website, social media channels, and print.