By: Jade Sobczak, Health Care & Science Career Community Advisor
As many of you continue to search for, and even score, the perfect summer opportunities, you’re coming into the Career Center looking for advice. The advice you’re seeking varies, but the sentiment is the same: you want to know the secret to standing out.
The bad news is that there is no secret. The good news is that while each internship is completely unique, there is always one common factor – you. And you have the ability to control so much of your experience.
So while there isn’t a one-size-fits-all piece of advice, start by showing up and by being true to yourself. Remember, a positive attitude goes a long way.
And while you’re at it…
- Take some risks, and if you’re gutsy enough, take plenty of them.
- Seek a balance between hustle and rest and strive to be compassionate about both.
- Stay in touch once it’s all said and done.
- Think of failure as a positive thing. Learn from your mistakes and fail smarter next time.
- Do work that you love and nudge those around you to do the same.
- Be persistent in your search!
- Keep in mind that sometimes done is better than perfect.
- Break out of your comfort zone and try something that seems a little scary every day.
You only get as much out of your experiences as you put into them, so learn something from everyone around you, and be devoted to your work… ultimately, your success depends on it.
- Get your application materials ready by making an appointment with a career community advisor or stopping by our offices (LPC/Loop) for walk-in resume reviews with peer career advisors – no appointment necessary!
- The Internship Plu$ Program provides $1,200 in financial assistance to eligible undergraduate students working in a quarter-long, unpaid internship while enrolled in a UIP or departmental internship course.
- UIP’s practical 4-credit courses can help you make the most of your internship experience and fulfill DePaul’s Experiential Learning graduation requirement.
- There are thousands of internship opportunities for DePaul students and alumni posted on DePaul’s Handshake platform. Check back regularly – new opportunities are posted every day!