In this new Health Care & Science Career Community series, we will be highlighting a different hospital system each month!
NorthShore University HealthSystem (NorthShore) is a health care system with five hospitals and a 900-physician outpatient practice. NorthShore serves as a primary teaching hospital site for medical students attending the University of Chicago’s Pritzker School of Medicine. Additionally, NorthShore has its own research institution and philanthropy foundation.
Between the hospitals and outpatient practice offices, over 10,000 people work for NorthShore!
NorthShore is currently hiring! They are hiring for CNAs, EMTs and Student Nurses for their Patient Care Technician role, a great entry-level health care position. Many positions (include Patient Care Technicians) only require a high school diploma, so you can apply even if you are still a student.
Other open positions include:
To apply and to find more open positions, visit NorthShore’s Careers page and start your health care career today!
Many other hospital employers regularly post jobs on Handshake, so remember to complete your Handshake profile! There are over 900 employers with active postings who are looking to hire DePaul students right now! Meet with your Health Care & Science Career Advisor to make sure you are showcasing the skills and experiences employers are looking for.
- NorthShore University HealthSystem is one of the major hospital and health care systems in the Chicago area
- NorthShore employs over 10,000 people and is currently hiring!
- Nursing students, recent graduates and alumni should visit NorthShore’s Careers page to view and apply for current openings
Given the rapid changes associated with the pandemic, we will be regularly sharing reporting trends in hiring sectors across the Chicago area in the Health Care & Science career community.
This week, we’re looking at Health Care & Science industry employers actively recruiting on Handshake:
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science & Education (ORISE): ORISE is “a U.S. Department of Energy institute focusing on scientific initiatives to research health risks from occupational hazards, assess environmental cleanup, respond to radiation medical emergencies, and educate the next generation of scientists.”
- Current jobs available at ORISE include: EPA Toxicity of Environmental Chemicals internship
- KEYENCE Corporation of America: “KEYENCE sensors, vision systems, and high definition microscopes add value to the manufacturing and research processes in nearly every industry, including: electronic, semiconductor, automotive, food and packaging, biotechnology, and pharmaceutical.”
- Current jobs at KEYENCE include: Entry-level Technical Sales Representative
- GenScript: GenScript is “the world leader in the biotechnology reagent service industry.” They are based in the US and also in Nanjing, China, and for their EHS & Equipment Coordinator position, they would prefer someone bilingual in English and Chinese.
- ComPsych: ComPsych is “the world’s largest provider of employee assistance programs (EAP)” and recently participated in our Virtual Spring Career Fair and Spring Interview Day!
- Current jobs available at ComPsych: Network Specialist- Provider Requests
Remember the importance of completing your Handshake profile so employers can proactively reach out to you! There are over 900 employers with active postings who are looking to hire DePaul students right now! Meet with your Health Care & Science Career Advisor to make sure you are showcasing the skills and experiences employers are looking for.
- Over 900 companies are currently hiring on Handshake! Complete your Handshake profile so they can contact you!
- Find open positions in Health Care & Science industries in government, large companies and startups.
- Meet with your Health Care & Science Career Advisor for advice in your job search process!
What can I do with a passion for health care besides clinical professions? One idea is to consider a career in healthcare administration. Health care is a business and, like every other business, it needs good management to keep it running smoothly. One area of increasing importance is electronic health records (EHR)- these are used for tracking patient visits, medical histories, recording laboratory results, tracking insurance and payment information and providing preventative health education. Professionals who manage EHR may be called Health Information Technicians, Medical Records Technicians, Health Services Managers or Medical Coding Specialists.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), health information technician and related jobs are expected to grow 11% in the next 5-8 years. As the US older adult population ages, the BLS expects demand to continue to increase for professionals to manage increasingly-complex electronic health records. Vault recommends being hands-on and organized, and also indicates that the hiring outlook is higher than average for aspiring health information technicians. According to EMSI, 84% of health information technician postings in Illinois in 2019-2020 required 0-3 years of experience, so many positions are appropriate for recent college graduates.
Find health information positions at hospitals, medical practices, city/state health departments, insurance companies and EHR platform providers. Some of the major EHR platform providers include:
Health care management will continue to remain important through the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond, so explore a career in this growing field today!
- Turn your passion for health sciences into a career in health care administration
- Health Information Technologists manage the large volumes of data in health care through Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- Health Information Technology and related fields are expected to grow by 11% in the next 5-8 years; 84% of recently posted positions require 0-3 years of experience
- Look for positions at hospitals, medical practices, health departments, insurance companies and EHR platform providers
Environmental Science and Sustainability
What can I do with a passion for environmental science or studies? One way is to turn your interests into a career in sustainability. What does this mean? According to UCLA, it is developing operating processes to meet the needs of present users with deep concern for future generations– especially as it relates to natural resource management. Sustainability practices “support ecological, human and economic health and vitality… presuming that resources are finite and should be used wisely.” Put another way, sustainability “is about our children and our grandchildren, and the world we will leave them.”
According to DePaul’s Alumni Sharing Knowledge (ASK) network, several DePaul alumni work in sustainability or related industries. Job titles include:
- Atmospheric Scientist, Grants Officer for a sustainability department at a large nonprofit
- Sustainability Manager for a food services company
- Project Lead for a plant and chemicals company
- Geospatial Engineer for a wildlife conservation organization
- Project Manager for a sustainable software company
- Volunteer Services for an arboretum
All DePaul students and alumni should join the ASK network to connect with alums in these fields and others!
Explore your career in sustainability today! Here are some internships and jobs currently live on Handshake:
- Historic Preservation Specialist at the Student Conservation Association (apply by 7/1/20)
- Marketing Specialist, Planned Gifts at Earthjustice (apply by 7/12/20)
- Marketing Internship at Functional Food Center (apply by 7/31/20)
Search for more positions on Handshake here! Filter by employer industry or use keywords like “sustainability” or “environmental” (or “sustainability” + “project manager”) to explore more related positions.
Our Health Care & Science Career Community Advisor, Betsy Cahill, has a background in environmental studies and experience working in the environmental sustainability and clean energy fields. She would love to talk with you more about various career paths – make an advising appointment today!
Environmental resources continue to be valuable and disappearing, so it is up to the next generation of sustainability professionals to ensure our natural resources are efficiently managed for years to come!
- “Sustainability” means working efficiently with limited natural resources to support many facets of health and economics
- Many DePaul alumni work in sustainability fields, and you can connect with them through the ASK network.
- Handshake also includes many jobs in sustainability fields! Use keywords or search by industry to explore further.