If you are seeking a new job or internship, check out a Virtual Career Fair! Virtual Career Fairs such as the upcoming DePaul Spring Career Fair provide an opportunity for students and employers to connect in an online environment about job and internship opportunities through video and text chat.
How Do I Prepare?
Research the Companies
Treat a Virtual Career Fair the same way as you would an in-person one, by researching the companies that will be in attendance beforehand. Pay attention to the work that they do, the opportunities available, and the mission statement of the organization. Develop questions for the recruiters based on your research in advance.
Find a Quiet Space
Log in to a Virtual Career Fair from a quiet place where you’ll be able to stage a professional background. Don’t forget to tell your family and/or roommates that you’re attending a virtual fair, so they don’t accidentally interrupt you. This will help ensure that employers have their attention on you rather than your surroundings.
Tech Double Check
Make sure to test your internet connection prior to attending a Virtual Career Fair by opening up Handshake and CareerEco. We’d recommend using your laptop or computer rather than your phone to avoid tech issues.
- Pro-tip: Don’t forget to check the Browser you are using, ensuring that you have Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox installed on your computer. These are the ONLY browsers that will support the chat functions in CareerEco.
Make (Virtual) Eye Contact
When your focus is elsewhere on the screen during a virtual career fair, it can be seen as unprofessional. Make sure that you keep your eyes on the employer to show your interest and excitement.
FAQs for the DePaul Virtual Spring Career Fair
When is the DePaul Virtual Spring Career Fair?
Wednesday, May 13th 2020, 3:00pm – 6:00pm CDT
Register at: careereco.com/events/depaul
*please use the same email address you used to register for Handshake*
What steps should I take to prepare?
- Create your CareerEco Account. Visit careereco.com/events/depaul to create and confirm your account. Then, complete your profile and sign up for the fair.
- Prepare your documents. Career Advisors are available to help you with your resume. Click here to Schedule an appointment to have yours reviewed before the fair.
- Check your Browser. Ensure you have Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox installed on your computer. These are the ONLY browsers that will support the chat functions in CareerEco. *Use a desktop or laptop for this event*
- Review how CareerEco works: We encourage you to watch the entire CareerEco tutorial to best understand how the career fair will work.
- Employer Messages: Employers can send you messages in the system, so be sure to check in frequently to make sure you aren’t missing anything.
- Review Chat Hours: Employers will have different schedules of availability during the virtual career fair. Know when the employers you are interested in will be available so you don’t miss the opportunity to chat with them.
- Dress Professionally: Although this is a virtual fair, employers can request a video chat, so dress just like you would if you were going for an in-person interview. Looking professional helps you get in the right frame of mind to talk with employers and exude confidence in the process.
How do I find job postings?
Once you are registered, log into CareerEco and click the Job Board tab. Job postings will be available from each company with instructions on how to apply.
How do the chat rooms work?
The virtual fair will be a series of chat rooms. Each employer will have a chat room (just as each employer has a booth/table at an in-person career fair). View job postings and general company information in each chat room, and chat with employers in a group. You can also chat 1:1 with employers via text, audio or video.
What is a private chat?
Recruiters can invite individuals to a private chat room. There will be a notification next to the recruiters name, participants will be able to accept the chat once opened. Only the recruiter will be able to initiate the private chat room.
How can I make the most of this virtual fair?
Prepare, research, and be resume ready! Research the companies either on Handshake or CareerEco to see available job postings, express interest before the fair on CareerEco by clicking the blue checkmark next to the company’s name. Prepare to talk about your skills and work experiences.
How do I stand out at a virtual career fair?
Upload your resume to CareerEco when you set up your account. Companies may begin screening resumes prior to the event and also invite you to visit their specific chat sessions and/or schedule video interviews before, during, or after the event hours.